Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Flyin' Back To Saigon

It was about time to fly back to Saigon. Started the day off with another bowl of Pho! i can't get enough of this stuff! This bowl was particularly good. The place we went to was packed with vietnamese and it was away from the touristy area so it looked legit. The broth did look a little funny but it still tasted delicious. View of Saigon from the window. The flight back to Saigon was pretty freaky. Had the worst turbliance. Like bad enough to start praying. My seat was in the very back of the plane so i guess if we crashed into something i'd have the best chance of living. Plus i could always grab a small child and hold it up infront of me for extra protection.
Between the runways of the airport you can see these old school hangers that were used by the U.S. military during the war. Not sure why they kept them up.
Are these Ginko leaves? They look like them but you can never tell. This is the back of the seat infront of me. Whether or not they are ginko leaves it still reminds me of ashley.
Once out of the airport my dad and i grabbed a taxi to the hotel to meet up with my mom. We then headed to the market to get something to eat. We sat down at little shop (kind of like Reading Terminal in Philly but not..) where they served up bbq on noodles. My mom got some crazy duck soup.

Without asking me, my mom ordered some massive whole shrimp. i thought it was bad enough for my mom to de-shell the shrimp for me..its even more embarrassing when she asks the cook to do it for me.

Too bad the picture i took turned out horrible. These things were huge! Like little lobsters!
Here is my crazy noodle dish with more shrimp. It was very good.
Had a lemon soda thing to drink too...soda chanh?

Right before dinner my mom wanted to pick up some cook books and my dad went to travel agency to get our tickets to our next diving location.
Dinner was on the street, literally. They block off this one street so businesses can put up tents and run a restaurant until late just to pack up again by morning!

My mom was told the fried fish was the best dish so she ordered that. It was okay, nothing to write home about.
To help wash it down i got an avocado shake!
Our other main dish was this crazy sea food fondue.
i asked my mom was the funky yellow slithers were on the plate and she didn't know. We then asked a waiter and he told us it was sea slug...oh boy.
i'll be honest, i was a little nervous. It didn't taste bad at all! Actually it didn't really taste like anything...
The squid on the other hand...it was awesome!


Chefs in action....grilling up a storm.
Heading to Chau Doc in the morning!!

No comments: