Saturday, January 29, 2011

My First Car Accident

While taking Ashley to the airport last December, I got in my first car accident. I was in the center lane about to go through an intersection and apparently a girl in the left turning lane decided to change lanes to go straight right when I was passing her. She hit the rear driver's side of my car.

I was so annoyed. I kept thinking I should have seen it coming and been able to avoid it but what can you do, woman drivers. :P A police report was made and all that good stuff. At the time I didn't see any damage on my car because there was so much salt caked to it. But the next day when I washed the are that was hit, I could see scratches from the impact. As far as I could tell, my car drove fine but because of my OCD, I wanted to get those scratches fixed.

I called up State Farm and they contacted the other insurance company for me. I took my car to the nearest auto repair shop to get an estimate. I was thinking the work would only be a couple hundred bones, the estimate came out to $2180.16!
Just for a few scratches? No wonder insurance bills are so much. Once I told the claim agent the estimate she said she would have to send an appraiser to get a second quote. A day later I got a call from the appraiser saying he was too busy to come by to look at my car and he said that the estimate seemed fair and I should be able to get the check no sweat. I later called the claim agent and it turned out she called their third party appraisers that would talk down the estimate with the repair shop.
I ended up getting a check for $1,968.16. I quickly deposited that in my savings so I could make some pennies from interest over the next two weeks. After looking at the estimate, most of the cost is from labor. $700 for parts and another $500 paint labor which is insane. I should get my car back in a week. I dropped off my car today and also got a rental car payed by the insurance company through Hertz.
The car they gave me is a 2010 Toyota Hybrid Camry! Pretty snazzy if you ask me. I'll post some pictures of it. Now if I only had somewhere to drive it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I’m glad that you weren’t hurt – at least until you saw the cost of repairs! I am also glad that you were able to find a way to lessen the cost a little bit. I do hope the money was put to good use and your car was restored to its former glory. Did you ever find out what happened to the other driver?

-- Raleigh Crowl

Unknown said...

That’s definitely a snazzy car they got you. I’m glad your insurance company came through for you even if it took a while. Hopefully, that’s the last time that this sort of thing will happen to you. I hope the other driver was okay too, and that no legal action was necessary at any point.

- Javier Hoppes -

Unknown said...

http://layzson.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-first-car-accident.html
I'm glad to know that everything went smooth for you after the accident. You've got no injury to endure, insurance covered your car repair costs and a snazzy car rend for you by your insurance company while your car is being repaired. You're a pretty lucky guy. Good for you!
I'm glad to know that everything went smooth for you after the accident. You've got no injury to endure, insurance covered your car repair costs, and a snazzy car was rented for you by your insurance company while your car was being repaired. You're a pretty lucky guy. Good for you!

Nannie Leick