Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hanging Out at Salt Lake

Since there was so much we wanted to do in Salt Lake City, we decided to spend two days there to get more stuff in. i woke up kind of late so for breakfast we went to good ole McD's. i got the steak burrito. It was okay but probably would not get it again.

While getting our gear on in the parking lot to go over to the Family History Library, this guy just parked his car that runs on natural gas. Something looked off about him, i was going to say he looked mormon but pretty sure 8 out of 10 people you're going to see a mormon.

Turned out the guy was a cop in an unmarked car. He asked my dad, "how many miles per gallon do you get in that beautiful machine?"...

My dad told him he thought 30 mpg but after doing some numbers the night before he realized he was getting 40 mpg which is pretty ridiculous for that size.

So they talk some more and then the cop drops the question, "What's your religion?" Ah ha! i knew it!

My dad then told him whatever and the cop told my dad that there is a lot of 'truth' in the family history library...and then wrote down my dad's license plate or something so we could get visit from some men dressed in white.

That's pretty messed up if you ask me. But little does he know the address for my dad's plate isn't a home address. Muhahah.

Next stop was the library. It was kind of sick how organized the mormons are. They had some elders ready to sit down with each of us and show us how to do a family search. i passed because i thought it was pointless for me to attempt to track my family when i pretty much don't know anyone in my family older than my grandpa.
uncle floyd found some info that he has been looking for and also got a copy of my great great great grandpa's WWI service record. Maybe that was to many 'greats' but you get the idea.

Around noon we headed back to the tabernacle to see the organ in action. i took video even though i was told not to (i'm rebellious like that) but the video quality is kind of bad and most of it is the back of the person's head that was sitting infront of me.
Lunch was interesting to say the least. We headed to the Office Building of Jesuse Christ of Latter-Day Saints and ate in their cafeteria. The building is huge and a million mormons work there. What do they even do there? Where does all this money come from?

All the men were wearing white shirts but they were able to express a little individualism with their ties as they were all different. For lunch i just wanted to get out of there because we stuck out like a sore thumb. The food wasn't even that good.
After lunch it was time to see something a little more up my alley, the salt lake.
We headed out to the State Park Antelope Island where they have some bison, antelope, and other random animals.
This rock/mountain looked cool so i took a picture of it.
While riding behind my dad and uncle they passed a snake in the road and didn't even see it! My dad might have even went over it with his bike but when i got off my bike to take a look at it, it seemed fine. At first i thought it was dead but i nudged it with my show and it moved a little. i wanted to pick it up and get it away from the middle of the road but cars kept coming and i didn't want anyone to think that i was trying to steal wildlife. Also i'm sure with my luch the snake would bite me and i'd die within the hour.
We biked around the island for a bit and checked out a ranch. After that we went to the 'beach' to see how salty this water really was. Apparently they let you swim in it but after walking almost a quarter of a mile to the water and seeing that there were bugs everywhere and the water just smelled plain nasty we passed on that.
Walkin'
Standing in the water..
Not really sure what my dad is doing here...
Stuck my hand in the water and after the water evaporated my hand was covered in salt. Pretty crazy. Didn't seem that salty when i licked the water.
Man my hands are ugly.
Clouds and junx...
Leavin' the island and running out of gas.
For dinner we went to another microbrew (big surprise) Squatters.
Squatters had some pretty good beer. The first beer i had was the Full Suspension Pale Ale and the second was some Golden Ale which was also very good.

For dinner i thought i'd be adventurous and get the thai curry with chicken. The menu said it came with 'sticky rice' but the rice wasn't actually sticky which was a let down. The curry on the other hand was very good.
Well that pretty much sums up our two days at Salt Lake City. i'm pretty mormon-ed out and can't wait to hit the road to Elko, Nevada.

No comments: