Monday, December 27, 2010

Lunar Eclipse

Hear about that lunar eclipse? You probably did. Well I have nothing to do these day so I decided to capture it via some photography. I thought I just had to stay up until midnight but to my dismay I was misinformed and it turned out that if I wanted to see this eclipse, I had to wait until 2:41 am!

Below you can see what happens if you mess up the auto white balance on your camera.
Took me a couple tries but I was able to get a good shot of the full moon, however, the rest of the shots go down hill from here.
It was freezing that night, but I was determined to capture the moment with my bare hands. I sat in a chair with a tripod with just a sweat shirt and sweat pants. Eventually I got some slippers as my poor piggies were getting cold.
This moon thing is pretty crazy. It was really neat to see the moon get darker over such a short amount of time.
I kind of dropped the ball on shots of the half moon...


Here is the few decent shots I got of the actual eclipse. Pretty crazy the moon gets a red haze over it. I think I read somewhere it due to the earth's atmosphere refracting light onto the moon. There there was no atmosphere on the earth then the moon would be totally black.
The next two pictures came out really dark so I tried to brighten them up. But they ended up just looking unnatural. But you are able to see the craters on the moon.

At this point I was super tired and cold. I ended my shooting frenzy with this last shot. It was a little depressing seeing the professional videos and pictures the next day as they looked a lot better than mine. But at least I got to see it with my own eyes.

No comments: