Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sweet and Sour Soup

Had some fancy Vietnamese soup the other night. At least I think its Vietnamese, at least a Vietnamese lady made it. I guess it could be Thai, we'll just say "Asian" and cover all of them.

Traditionally this dish is made with fish but my mom decided to change it up with shrimp. I prefer the shrimp as it does fall apart and disintegrate within the broth. I'm not exactly sure what goes into this stuff but I do know there is lots of pineapple and okra. I scarfed it down too fast to realize what else it was comprised of. This is one of those dishes that taste oh so good when its chilly out.

Back to the okra, I like it. However, the only time I ever get to eat okra is when its in gumbo. I like the taste of it but do to the mucilage in the pods, there is a ton of slime produced from them. While it tastes pretty good freshly cooked, the texture is a little funky reheated. The okra pods in this dish was kept intact minimizing the sliminess and as a result were super delicious. Okra can also stir fried and cooked with acidic ingredients to cut down on the slime. I've tried to mention this to my mom but she refuses to take any advice from me. Another reason for me leave this place.

No comments: